FCRCC Premier program offers world-class coaching with top-level training.
If you have been paddling for at least one year or have a strong athletic background,
If you want to compete at the highest level and have time to train,
If you want to commit more to dragon boat racing,
If you want to spend time with a group of like-minded, motivated people,
…Then keep reading!
To produce premier dragon boat teams that win locally, nationally and internationally by supporting team and individual goals.
2021/2022 Dragon Boat Racing Goals:
In the 2019 season, False Creek Premier Dragon Boat Program (FCP) rose back to local and national prominence and earned the right to perform on the international stage at the 2020 Club Crew World Championships
(CCWC). But now, that event will be CCWC 2022! The 2021/2022 programming strives to re-build the enthusiasm that underpinned our success including high individual performance standards, high accountability, and a focus on performing athletes. Our program membership year is October 1-September 30. The program is
Our objective is a top 3 performance at CCWC 2022. This requires the entire team to compete together as often as possible. See dates at end of document.
• FCRCC Knockout Regatta
• Dragon Zone Oddball 2000m Challenge
• FCRCC Women’s Regatta (as event organizers)
• Dragon Zone 500
• Concord Dragon Boat Festival
• July 18-24 IDBF Club Crew World Championships – Florida
Other races will be considered as information becomes available or ideas are presented.
2022 Outrigger Canoe Racing Goals:
We will participate in local races that do not conflict with DB goals. Program members can race OC-6 with other programs if that suits their individual goals without interfering with the team’s dragon boat goals.
What you can expect from the program?
- World class coaching
- Small boat training plans and motivated training groups
- High quality OC-6 training (Proof of successful completion of OC6 huli drill is a requirement prior to attending OC6 practices)
- Competition at the highest level
- Training with a group of like-minded, highly motivated, competitive paddlers
- Entry fees for dragon boat regattas covered
- A technique session in the indoor Richmond Paddling Tank
- Subsidies through team fundraising efforts to offset some travel costs for major away regattas.
What do we require from you?
We require your commitment to train and race with us. In addition you are required to:
- complete a OC6 huli drill
- take part in in OC-1 time trials
- strive for time trial and fitness standards
- involve yourself in volunteer duties. This includes helping with fundraisers such as dragon boat clinics and the FCRCC Women’s Regatta. It takes many hands to support a successful team.
- complete the OC1 orientation through FCRCC.
- be a member of FCRCC. This allows you to use the dragon boats, OC-6s and OC-1s
- pay the team program fee (see below for more info on fees)
- attendance dragon boat and oc6 practices
When are practices?
Currently – COVID protocol:
Due to COVID restriction, we scale down our practices to the following:
- Dragon Boat: Mon at 6:00pm-7:30 pm
- OC-6: Tue at 5:45-7:30 am
- OC-1: various times
Our practice days are Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays.
- October: Mondays at 6:00 pm
- November-February, weather and numbers permitting. NOTE switch of days:
- Sundays at 7:45 am
- Wednesdays at 5:45 pm
- February 28th: Mondays resume at 5:45pm
- Tuesdays at 5:45pm
- If there is enough interest, Saturdays at 7:30am will be added.
- We participate in OC-6 year-round, weather permitting
Program members coordinate training through a WhatsApp group. A training program is provided for 2-3 workouts/week depending on the time of year. These workouts are not to be shared with any paddlers outside
the program without written consent of the coaches.
What are the costs for 2022 season?
Program fees for the 2021/22 season are as follows:
• $350 for adults
• $225 for full time students
• $150 for drummers and steerspeople
Fees are due October 1st. If you need an extension or payment plan, please talk to Nora.
All participants, including drummers, steers and coaches must be fully vaccinated again COVID-19.
All paddlers must have the appropriate FCRCC membership. FCRCC 2021-2021 membership structure is currently under review, but membership cost is expected to stay similar to this year (~$400 for adults with access to all types of boat, 20% discount for U-24). FCRCC membership year is November 1-October 31. Please direct questions regarding membership needs to a current team member.
No fees are returned to a paddler who is not selected to continue in the program after the 2022 performance
Pro-rated fees may be considered for athletes joining in the late spring or summer of 2022 and not attending any
Please visit FCRCC Membership for FCRCC membership information.
The expenses covered for our team members
The fees we charge only cover a small part of what is provided to our paddlers. Thanks to years of successful fundraising, our program is able to cover many expenses. Typically, we cover:
- coaching in dragon boat
- periodic coaching in OC-6
- dragon boat rental
- small boat training plans
- dragon boat regatta entry fees
- Dragon Boat Canada fees
- accommodation for Nationals
- funding for International away races we attend as a team
- funding for athletes making Team Canada for the IDBF Worlds
Come and try us out!! You are welcome to come to two practices before deciding if we are the home for you. To attend or for more information please contact us through Contact Us page.
Where we are:
False Creek Racing Canoe Club
1318 Cartwright Street